Thursday, September 15, 2011

Hubble Deep Field

This is a deep space field image taken by the Hubble telescope. It has been called the most important image ever taken. The image is actually a compilation of exposures taken between December 18th and December 28th, 1995. The image contains approximately 3,000 galaxies. The image comes from the constellation Ursa Major. The field is SO small that only a couple of the stars from our own galaxy are visible in the foreground. To give you an idea, the area depicted is so small it is like a grain of sand compared to the size of the known Universe. In this field  there are hundreds of BILLIONS of stars, each with the possibility of having it's own solar system with planets like ours. Again, let me stress that this is an area of space that is comparable to a grain of sand in the big scheme of things. How can anybody be so arrogant as to believe that we are the only lifeforms in the Universe when taking into account the shear size of it? To me, it is undeniable. I don't need solid proof. I am a huge skeptic and I am not religious, but I have to admit that when it comes to this I have a lot of faith. I guess that I probably have the same sort of faith in the Universe being a place rich with life as a religious person has in God or Heaven. I only recently realized this and it is quite eye-opening. I will look down on someone that believes in something based on faith alone but I guess that I am not all that different. Then again, my own personal beliefs ARE supported by mathematics...hence the title of this blog. :)

0 comments: